Monday, September 10, 2012

In The Mood To Move

This is tenth time I’ve moved since 2005. This is not a stat I’m strutting. Moving is goddamn exhausting, expensive as sin, and always just a bit humiliating. It’s not healthy to box your life on a yearly basis. When I began this entry, my worldly possessions were stacked in the corner of my denuded room and I was sweating whether or not I’d manage to Tetris the lot of it into the body of my purple 1997 Rav4—“The Grimus.” I made it just fine. Halifax to Guelph in two days, listening to Stephen King’s time travel novel.

I’m not a gewgaw guy, not sentimental with possessions. The boxed life I’d moved was books that I either haven’t read or can’t do without, furniture that I could either collapse or disassemble, and clothes I’d mostly had since high school. The lot of my worldly junk equals the size of a moose, maybe, or a grizzly bear, or one of those poor obese adults you used to see on TV being taken out of a hole cut into their house by a forklift.

I’ll be thirty in half-a-year and this is a mite fucking depressing.


2 comments:

  1. Your writing life sounds a lot like mine, only I use the word fuck and its variations somewhat less frequently to describe my angst. :) Yeah, but I'm full of angst and anxiety. Seems to be a writer's fate. Just wanted to say that from across the digital divide.

    Hope you find the words you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. Somewhat.

      Thanks for hollering over the divide, Carrie.

      Delete